Wednesday, April 29, 2009

got milk?


We went on a field trip today to the Happy Cow Creamery. Don't usually get real excited about visiting dairy farms (not my kinda smell), but I was SO impressed with this one. The guy who owns this farm should be running the world. His "12 Aprils" program for grass-feeding his cows is really impressive, and everything was so clean and cute, and "Farmer Tom" clearly has the best interest (and health) of both his customers and his cows in mind. We bought several gallons of their organic milk - will be interesting to see if it makes any difference in our health - one of my daughters has stomach issues (reflux), and my son has Asperger's Syndrome, both of which are sometimes said to be aggravated by milk products. Have almost thought about buying goats to milk (not too seriously, though), but maybe this no-preservative cow's milk will be a better (easier) alternative. We'll see.

In case you happen to be fascinated by holsteins, here's today's adventures:

the "dry" cows (mamas to be)

loved this tablecloth

on the tractor-tour hayride

pretty views

lotsa grass (much better than crowded cement pens)

MyBuddy is sooooo happy to be off the hot, crowded wagon and back in civilization

the farm came with a silo that wasn't being used, so Farmer Tom turned it into a production plant (this shot is from inside the silo)

here's the silo

it even has a drive-thru!

free samples

taking time to smell the roses
(I thank Barb's Wednesday Flower Study for this shot - since we started doing our flower studies, the kids notice flowers everywhere!)

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I saw your response to Brittany over at 4 little men and thought I would give you a shout! I have been homeschooling my 7 children for the last 20 years. My youngest is 6 months, so we have much longer to go!: )

    I am shocked by some of the responses that she has gotten, bu† thought your response was great. I posted a lengthy response yesterday, but it didn't go through...at least I didn't see it.

    I am also suffering from HSADD although I think it might be spring fever.  Your blog looks very nice and your kids are so cute. Enjoy this time will them! They grow up very fast.
    Hope your HSADD goes away soon. Come and visit with me sometimes at busyhandsbusyminds.blogspot.com.

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photots! and, that looks like a great field trip.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...