Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mr. Gallon

The Southern heat gave us a little bit of a break today, so we relieved our summer cabin fever by doing some reading outside. While I love the feel of a good paperback book in my hand, I did discover that I could download a free Kindle app for my iPod touch and get many of the living books on our wish list for free or at a discounted rate, so I have to admit I am becoming a digital convert. (I LOVE my ipod touch). I found The Blue Fairy Book and downloaded that for free today - yippee!


While I was reading aloud, the kids colored squares that we divided into quarters, eighths, or sixteenths (if they don't have their hands full of some project while I'm reading they often begin to slowly wander away, either physically or mentally). Then we took the shapes and put them together to make "Mr. Gallon", a project I've been wanting to do since I saw Dana's family do it over at Crazy Maize World.

It's a cute and effective way to teach the measurements for gallons, quarts, pints, and cups. You can see how to make him by clicking on the link at Dana's post (I can't seem to make the link work here).

Afterwards we did one of our favorite summertime activities - "color bowls" - and used it to practice measuring the units we just learned. It's amazing how much fun kids can have with water, bowls, and food coloring (kittens, too).


I left my oldest daughter in charge while I got some chores done inside, but she got bored with the project before the younger girls did and asked if she could come inside. There was a small lapse between when she left and I took over, and this is what happened in the meantime...

Nothing like a little color to brighten your day :). (And it's going to be many "bright days" before all this color washes off). Oh well...

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodnes That's quite a mess. We're true bloggers if we stop and take a picture before cleaning up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...