Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What I've been missing...

I've been feeling kinda down lately, but didn't know why. Then last night, because the dining room table was covered with sewing stuff, I decided to move dinner to the table on the back porch. Lil Diva took for.ev.er to finish her dinner, and while I was sitting out there with her, long after the rest of the family had gone, I was looking around at the backyard, and realized I didn't know it anymore. Because of the heat (I really don't like heat (and yet, here I am rooted in the South. Go figure)) and because of all the school planning I've been doing inside lately, it's been weeks since I've spent anytime in the yard (or "taken a turn around the garden" as they say in the old novels). Maybe I had been down because it had been sooo long since I had spent any time enjoying God's world.

So, I decided, once Lil' Diva finally finished eating, to take that turn in the garden. I found a crop of bright purple zinnias that I hadn't even noticed were there, grapes ready to be harvested (oh yeah, we have grapes), empty bird feeders (poor birds), butterflies galore... little joys that I had forgotten to feed my soul with all summer. Here's some other things I might have missed if I had stayed inside (again) last evening...

(By the way, this is going to be way more pictures than you probably want to stick around for. I won't be offended if you sneak out early, I promise. I'm mostly posting these for my own good, 'lest I forget and get sucked inside again).

(caught one)

cosmos, my favorite flower, barely noticed all summer

the welcoming committee

(hot) horses saying hello

the hidden world



and I might have missed my little girl learning to ride a bike without training wheels for the first time! Go CarriBear!!
and I might have missed dancing with Lil' Divabut I doubt she would have let that happen. :)

I feel better already.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, those are some great pics. I'm glad getting out a bit helped your mood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you need a little OH time....more regularly. Once that desire has been aroused in your spirit, it is hard to be away for long.

    We are all here when you are ready. Might be fun to do some time in your garden with sketchbooks and colored pencils.

    :)
    Barb-Harmony art Mom
    PS Love your lantana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful pictures!!!

    love the one of your princess running out to greet Daddy! Even from the back, i can here her calling, "Daddy's home, Daddy's home!!!" At least that's what i hear every night when my hubby comes driving up the driveway.

    Glad you had the chance to enjoy the great outdoors. you should do it more often!

    Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. casey - you can never have too many pictures, girl! lol! i'm glad you got out and visited your yard. let's see - i love that first shot - her expression is priceless; i didn't know a cosmos was a real flower - i thought it only existed in Animal Crossing on the DS or the Wii - lol!; your horses are beautiful!; what kind of flower is that pink and yellow one under the ants?; and... awesome spider! great post :O) - happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly how you feel - indoors can really be suffocating. But so can the south! I think your pictures are just beautiful. Love the spiders! We have a cool day here today, and there's no reason why we'll be staying indoors much longer, esp after reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I know that feeling, except here we have had an unusually cool summer. I tend to get wrapped up inside for other reasons.... house keeping, school planning, etc. It is amazing, though, how much better we can feel after spending a little time outdoors!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...