Saturday, November 28, 2009

23 Kids and Counting

Our Thanksgiving?

There was

food...



fun...



football...



(and fans)



farmin'...



fencing...



fiddling...



friendship...


foolin' around...


and family...

lots...
and lots...
of family.
including one new family member
(welcome to my aDORable niece!)

We also had some sale finding, and a little bit of the flu (well, just a 24 hour bug, but, stomach virus doesn't start with "f" so...). But anyway...

We always have so much fun when "the cousins" come to visit. We descended upon my mother-in-law here on the farm in 3 full van loads (2 of them 18 passenger), together totaling 9 adults and 23 kids (don't bother doing the math on that one - you probably wouldn't believe the answer anyway :)). My brother- and sister-in-law have the most wonderful (and wonderfully big) family, all (19) of them are so beautiful, fun, talented, and amazingly sweet, generous, and kind. It is unreal what an incredible job they are doing raising their children to be wise and loving servants of God (so, you know, no pressure on me as the "other mom" in the family at all :)). But I have to especially gush this time about the family's oldest daughter (in the picture above holding the baby), because she absolutely blew my mind in her ability to lovingly mother her younger brothers and sisters (and I'm not related to her by blood so I'm allowed to gush without saying it's bragging :)). Not yet 20, at one point this weekend she was able to feed a baby, successfully break up a fight between two toddlers, and tend to a 5-year-old who came in sizzling after running headfirst into an electric fence, all at the same time. And all with a smile on her face. She changed diapers, made sandwiches, listened intently to little one's stories, packed the family's clothes, MADE the family's clothes, and I'm horrified to have to say, even swooped in to save the day when Lil' Diva got suddenly sick all over herself, all over me, and all over everything within a 5 foot radius of where she was sitting on my lap when the fun started. And she manages to look radiantly gorgeous while happily orchestrating all this domestic bliss (and when I say happily, she truly has the most amazing loving and joyful attitude I have ever seen). She is the ultimate supermom and she isn't even a mom yet. Someday she will truly make some young man out there the most blessed husband in the world. After this weekend, she is my new role model for loving and patient family servitude (and, ok, if I could have hair like hers I'd be happy, too :)).

So that was our Thanksgiving. Things are seeming really quiet around here now that it is just the 6 of us again. :) (Never thought I'd say that).

By the way, in case you're not full, yet - See more holiday food over at this week's You Capture Challenge.
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

  1. That looks like an absolutely wonderful Thanksgiving day! What a testimony to your brother and sis-in-law for raising such a loving daughter. I'm sure you're well on your way to seeing the same results in the next decade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pictures of a fun, family day!!
    And yes, she is an adorable, new, little niece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! what a great time everyone had! it looks like such a fun day! why wasn't i invited?????? :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so creative. Sorry about the stomach bug. We had it too! No fun at all!!!!

    Alana Jo
    yahoobuckaroo@hotmail.com
    www.twitter.com/NiftyThrifty
    http://www.justniftythrifty.com/2009/12/you-capture-tell-us-story-using-photos.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love all of the photos!
    What a blessing to be able to spend Thanksgiving with family. ;o)

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and visiting with me.
    ~ Christina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...