Friday, January 29, 2010

birthday

Disclaimer: I know I probably post way too many family event pictures for a public blog about homeschooling. I'm doing it again today. Sorry. Non-family members are welcome to bow out now with no hard feelings :).

There is a time and season for the Chuck E. Cheese's Birthday Party or the Pool Birthday Party, but I have to admit that my favorite kind of parties are of the quiet, stay-at-home, family type. That's what we did for Lil' Diva's 4th birthday this year. Not a lot of hype, but I think (hope) she still had fun.

She started the day with the stashing of birthday card money (thank you, sweet and wonderful grandparents!).

she opened one present in the morning, some paints and bubbles, which provided entertainment for a good part of the day


and we made birthday crowns

and birthday cake

I usually get off pretty easy in that department, as my kids, for some unexplainable reason, are not big frosting eaters, so the fancy themed bakery birthday cakes usually go mostly uneaten in this house. So usually I can get away with a simple, frosting-less pound cake with some homemade decorations on top. They don't make for very pretty pictures, but the money we save is a birthday present for all of us (especially my very frugal hubby).

Lil' Diva declared she could read, now that she is 4, and proudly "read" her birthday cards over and over.

And she loved all the birthday phone calls she got that day. ( Tho' by the end of the day she mentioned it was a lot of work being 4, having to talk on the phone so much).

That evening we shared a birthday party with grandma...



and of course, Lil' Diva had a wonderful time OPENING PRESENTS

and being the Little Diva that she is, CLOTHES were her very favorite gifts



I've shared this before, but another way I like to save a few birthday pennies is to make decorations with a printer and laminator. Seems like you can find clip art online for just about any theme. This birthday it was all about Littlest Pet Shops.

So that was her day. Thanks for staying with me. :)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a pretty sweet party. The crowns were cute! I always like the home parties too - less stress and we always enjoy ourselves. I, for one, enjoy the fact that your schooling and family life get equal attention on your blog. That's just the way homeschooling life is. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...