Thursday, February 18, 2010

A new mission

You know I'm not usually one to wax philosophical outloud, but I just finished reading Uncle Tom's Cabin in the wee hours of last night, and how could anyone read that without feeling a little thoughtful afterwards. Of course, like a nation that came before me, I was inspired to action of the noblest kind after finishing the book, and then immediately thanked God that the book's particular call to action was mercifully no longer necessary. But I asked God what he would have me do - champion the cause of the Haitian orphans, fight against the moral decline of our nation - I was ready to be led anywhere. His answer came back loud and clear. You are to be the mistress of your home, and make it a lovely place to live in.

Really?

Because I'm thinking that's not sounding very noble and heroic.

But I knew it was the right thing. A mistress takes care of all in the home - which also means being responsible for the education and health of our four amazing blessings. And mostly, guiding them to an earthly and eternal life of living for God. And creating a lovely home means not just one that is pretty and joyful, but one that is LOVE-ly, in which every act is done out of love for those in it. Perhaps those things are a little bit noble. And maybe, if a nation of mothers would do the same, the problems of our nation might be whittled down a tiny bit at a time...?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that God has told me to just keep up the same ole' same ole'. The truth is, my house is NOT always love-ly, and I do not always keep it up as well as I should. Housekeeping and cooking are excruciatingly tedious to me, and I would infinitely rather be creating something new than maintaining what I already have. This that God has asked of me is a new (and improved) mission, and one that may be just as difficult (for me) as doing mission work in Africa or fighting for the legal rights of homeschoolers. But I know it is the right thing to do. For now. Perhaps someday I'll have a different mission, but for now I'll face this one with happiness and determination. And I'm not at all saying that it is every mother's job to stay home and not help anyone else, just that God is telling me that this is the season for me to do my part in the world by getting my own act together. For there is influence and glory-giving in that as well.

I woke up early this morning to a sparkling hallway and a kitchen in the midst of being scrubbed clean. I looked around for the magical elf who was cleaning my house while I slept, and found BeachPea hiding under a blanket on the couch. "Surprise!", she popped out and yelled, "after being sick the last few days I thought you might like to wake up to a clean house". I did like it, and BeachPea and I spent the rest of the morning tidying up and making the house lovely so everyone else could wake up to a clean house, too. BeachPea didn't know of my "new mission" when she staged her surprise this morning, so I can only take it as a thumbs up from God that I am on the right track. He sent me a helper.

Anyway, it didn't work with my new year's resolutions, but I'm posting this outloud anyway to help keep me accountable. Thanks for listening. This blog will now return to it's regularly scheduled fluffiness, with a few cutie kid pictures.... :)



how's this for cute and fluffy? :)



nope, no spoiled kitty cats around here


sweet sisters (just don't let them know I told you)

(showing off new Valentine's outfits from Grandma)

(with Piper and Aunt Laurie)

(thanks Grandma!)

what homeschooling mother doesn't get a little thrill out of this kind of scene? :)

BeachPea, just before last night's Fine Arts Festival performance
(she did great!)


2 comments:

  1. Casey, this post is so inspiring to me. As the "keeper of my home", I sometimes feel as if I'm not doing enough for God's Kingdom. But the reminder of how important our jobs are as Mom's comes at a good time.

    I love the fact that your little BeachPea was helping you out without her even knowing what your new mission was. So sweet!

    Have a wonderful week with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you shared what God spoke to you. I've been feeling that Col. 3:12-17 is a key verse for our family right now. I'll be praying for you, that God would show you the perfect ways to be keeper of YOUR home.

    Love all your girly pictures! What a sweet lil BeachPea to serve you like that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...