Saturday, May 28, 2011

What's Growing on the Farm...

DSC_0038
The chickens are growing dirtier


DSC_0046
Poor panting chickens have been so hot that they roll around in the dirt whenever they can to cool off (or maybe it's to get chicken bugs off, but they look hot to me, so I'm going with that)

DSC_0052

DSC_0056

f1
(BeachPea doesn't like dirty chickens)


DSC_0060
"Who you calling a dirty chicken?!"


DSC_0083
Our hay is still growing - a miracle considering how little rain we've gotten, until a big storm blew in last night.

DSC_0084

DSC_0063
Unfortunately, thistles are growing, too.

f2
We've always had a few thistles on the farm, but a few years ago we decided to buy thistle seed for our goldfinches.  And suddenly, thistles started growing everywhere on the farm.

Oops.

Our goldfinches eat sunflower seeds now.

(But I still think thistles are kinda pretty).


DSC_0062
This isn't really a picture about farm growth, but I think it's cute so I'm throwing it in anyway.  I guess you could say our usage of the car is growing, now that its usually too hot to walk over to Aunt Jenny's to let her dog out at lunchtime.

DSC_0073

DSC_0074



DSC_0087
BeachPea's excitement over her birthday is growing.  Only 94 more days to go (she likes to be prepared).


DSC_0089
The days are growing longer.  Which means more evening walks.


DSC_0118
Horse bellies are growing, finally getting fat on grass after a long, sparse winter.  (Cow bellies are growing, too, with babies!  Pics coming soon.)


And finally, fruit and flowers are growing (veggies are too, but aren't too exciting to take pictures of, yet)
f3
Daisies, milkweed, petunias, magnolia, peaches (one poor peach tree was blown down by last night's storm, which is sad, but I guess compared to the damage some have gotten from recent storms, I can hardly complain), apples, marigolds, and blueberries




What's growing where you are?

5 comments:

  1. Okay,
    It's positive that this is one of my most favorite blogs.

    Your photography is amazing and I feel like I'm sharing the moment with you!
    Love coming here!!!

    We are having rain, rain, rain and while our garden is growing, the bugs are trying to get the best of it with so much moisture.
    Oh and weeds:)


    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are so lovely Casey. The kids are the cutest. I love your pretty farm with your pretty hay and your dusty chickens. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics! Will you come plant my yard?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay - my computer just went haywire... hopefully you didn't get my partial comment. Anyway.... your lovely farm shots are blowing me away ;D These are amazing. ALL of them. Love the thistle... yes, it is lovely, even if it is a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of your photos, but that last collage is amazing!
    Anita

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...