Sunday, July 24, 2011

Found Nemo

a1
So my husband was moving the tractor out of the barn the other day, and said he saw a little orange kitten run behind a hay bale.  Of course, a search and rescue operation was organized by the kids immediately.  We heard an occasional mew from the barn, but for days there was no other sign of this mysterious kitty.

So we left food and water out, just in case there was no mama cat around.  We did begin to start seeing glimpses of an orange flash or a tiny tail darting around the corner of a hay bale, but the kitten remained elusive.  One night during this time we were watching Finding Nemo, so the kids called the kitten Nemo, since we were trying to find him. And he was orange.  Like Nemo.

So then a couple of mornings ago I looked outside and realized we had forgotten to close one of the doors on the chicken coop, so the chickens were happily pecking out in the pasture instead of locked up in the chicken run.  And who was crouching stealthily in the grass right in the middle of them, waiting to pounce on his next meal?  Yep, one very ambitious little kitty.

But it darted as soon as it saw me, and was gone again.

Then yesterday, my oldest daughter went out to gather eggs in the chicken coop.  But came back with this instead...

a2
Little dude was inside the chicken coop, and had all the {fully grown} chickens cowering in a corner.

a3
I struggled for a while with what to do.  If the kitty did have a mama out in the barn, I hated to take it away.  But then, I read that if you don't get a ferrel cat away from it's mom by about 4 weeks of age, it would be hard to ever tame it.

And we certainly couldn't have such a ferocious little chicken hawk running wild around the farm.

a4

So we found the little guy some temporary kitten necessities, gave him, or her, some food and water, which he/she devoured, and cleaned him/her up a little.

OK, so they weren't temporary things.  Just like the last stray that came to the farm, this little kitty is here to stay.  I know at some point we have to draw the line, or risk us becoming crazy cat hoarders, but it's just that 3 of our 4 kids have their own kitties, and poor little Butterfly has none, so you know, what can you do?

We are now in the process of getting him/her used to us, watching his/her health, and picking out a name.  It seems Nemo has been voted down. Based on the kitty anatomy diagrams we googled, we think this little guy may be a girl.  But not 100% on that one, yet.  But, as I was informed, Nemo is not a girl's name, and will not do.  I really want to let Butterfly pick out a name, but so far she's come up with "Orangey", "Cage-y" (because we're keeping her in cage for a little while), "Runny" (because she likes to run), and "Scratch-your-arm-y".  So, thinking a family vote on the name may be in order instead. :)

Anyway, until then, welcome to the farm Little Kitty!


a5

a6

a8

a9

a9a

a9b

a9c
We're really glad you're here.

{Just stay away from those chickens, okay?}

9 comments:

  1. Oh my word. She is SO adorable. I love it. You are cat rescuers! : )
    When Kenya has some, I don't know how we will give them away. I love them already : )
    Beautiful pictures of your beautiful lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet post and sweet kitty!! Your daughter's name suggestions are hilarious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of Butterfly's names. I especially like Runny or Cage-y, but since I called our cat "Kitty," you may not appreciate my input.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having flashbacks to our younger days and a herd of 30+ cats running around the house. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That kitty is smiling and hopefully here to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is so adorable. Loved seeing all the cute pictures. Can't wait to hear what name you all decide on.
    Lindsay
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still like the name "Chicken Little." "Kitty" is adorable, as are all the pictures. I do share Chip's flashback thoughts - how did Ossie ever put up with us??

    ReplyDelete
  8. She/he is a spitting image of my cat Talisker, named after the whisky. Talis for short. He took on everything. I once saw him on the back of a pheasant that was trying to fly. Used to bring in grass snakes. Once took on a car. Survived but lost a leg. He still used to climb up high and torment the birds up in our barn rafters. You've brought back memories. Enjoy your kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! I can't wait to hear what her name will be.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...